Do you want the best coffee grounds that your hands prepared? You must have the best manual coffee grinder available to you any time.
Also known as a coffee mill, a hand coffee grinder lets you customize coffee much to your liking.
Unlike those ground coffee beans that you can buy in nearby grocery stores or supermarket, you can tell what kind of grind the beans undergone when you do it yourself. The freshness of your ground is also assured when done according to your preference.
Without much further ado, here are some of the best hand coffee grinders that we have reviewed so you don’t have to make time-consuming research just to pick the right one.
5 Best Manual Coffee Grinders Reviews 2020
1. Hario Ceramic Coffee Mill- Skerton
The Hario Ceramic Coffee Mill is one of the easiest to operate hand grinders. It is also one of the cheapest of its kind.
But for sure, you will love the child’s play operation of the Hario Skerton that most coffee connoisseurs love to do during weekends. Although it grinds depending on your skills, the Hario Coffee Mill grinds to your desired consistency.
The conical burr grinder is made from ceramic so it doesn’t get dull easily. This manual burr grinder has a non-slip base made of rubber so it doesn’t move every time you grind.
The detachable crank handle of Hario Skerton can be easily removed for cleaning and storage and it doesn’t take much space o your kitchen.
- Compact and durable.
- Allows for an even grind.
- Portable enough for traveling or camping.
- Adjustable burr for a precise grind.
- Grinding takes much time than electrical grinders.
- Have a hard time on coarser grindings.
- Can only grind beans 100 grams at a time.
2. Handground Precision Manual Coffee Grinder
If you want a grind that matches the efficiency of an automatic coffee maker, the Handground Precision Manual Coffee Grinder is a perfect choice.
Handground Precision’s precise grinding is because of its 40mm conical ceramic bur mill which is a computer-designed grinder. The glass-bodied manual burr coffee grinder is compatible with any type of coffee makers, such as Chemex, Moka Pots, most French presses, Cold Brew, Drip, AeroPress, and Pour-Overs, among others.
This manual burr coffee grinder has 15 grind settings that you may select to match the needed grind for your coffee machine. The grinder’s base is tapered so that it may not flip over during operation.
- Grinds consistently.
- Quite operation compared to other brands.
- With 15 grind selectors for your precise grind.
- Has triple-mounted axle for a soundless grind.
- Aside from home use, also ideal for camping, office, and traveling.
- Some parts are not dishwashing safe.
- Bigger than other manual grinders.
3. Porlex Mini Stainless Steel Manual Coffee Grinder
Designed for the traveling kinds, the Porlex Mini Manual Coffee Grinder is the talk of the town lately. This minimalist and Japan-made piece of art has a ceramic conical burr grinder that gives precision grinding for any type of coffee beans.
Its hopper capacity is about 20 grams of beans, good for 1 to 2 cups of coffee. The Porlex Mini is so light (only 226 grams total weight) which is ideal for people on the go.
It is made from high-quality stainless steel built under strict Japanese standards. Choose among the 13 settings which can grind from powder form to the size fits for French presses or AeroPress coffee brewers.
The stainless steel body is very durable and corrosion-free, this hand burr coffee grinder may last more than you expect.
- Only 47mm in diameter and 130mm in height.
- Made in Osaka, Japan.
- The stainless steel body is static-free.
- Easy–to-grip cylinder.
- Small capacity good for 1-2 cups per grind.
- Has a long handle.
4. JavaPresse Manual Coffee Grinder
The JavaPresse Manual Coffee Grinder is the choice of more coffee enthusiasts around the globe. This piece of equipment is perfect for Aeropress, Chemex, Drip Coffee, Espresso, French Press, and Turkish Brew, among others.
JavaPresse is made from non-corrosive stainless steel and has ceramic conical burr grinder that could be adjusted for your desired grind size. Unlike other premium hand grinders, the JavaPresse Coffee Grinder has 18 grinds settings from fine to coarse.
It has a convenient and removable hand crank device that is also made from stainless steel. This grinding unit has no plastic parts so you are assured nothing toxic comes with your coffee.
Relatively made up of only 5 principal parts, the JavaPresse is so easy to assemble and operate while cleaning is also uncomplicated. Even newbies will find this portable coffee grinder has a trouble-free operation.
- The ceramic combo burr grinder certified to last than metal grinders.
- Tall and slender, occupies minimal space on your kitchen.
- More affordable than other brands.
- Quiet operation.
- May not fit in small cabinets for storage.
- The handle is shorter than ordinary manual grinders.
5. Porlex 345-12541 Jp-30 Stainless Steel Manual Coffee Grinder
The Porlex JP-30 is a big brother to the Porlex Mini; only that the former has a bigger capacity. But these two siblings both have loyal followings as they are two of the top-selling handheld coffee grinders on Amazon.
But not all hand crank coffee grinders are created equal. Not even the almost identical models.
The Porlex JP-30’s crank arm has a bigger knob and more conveniently designed to grind more volume of beans. It has ceramic conical burrs that grind quietly and with precision.
The hopper has a 30-gram capacity and yields about 3-4 cups of brewed coffee. The grind fits pour-overs and French presses.
- Small and slim; perfect for traveling, camping, and in the office.
- Has a durable, anti-static stainless steel body.
- With micro-adjustments for more precise grinder sizes.
- Handling during operation should be at the middle to avoid toppling.
- The crank arm is a little bit longer than others.
Each product we mention above is in itself typifies the best hand grinder in its own right but the finest of them all must be cleverly chosen on the merits of performance, the reasonable price, and the quality of each grind.
Nevertheless, we have selected two of the best manual coffee grinders that satisfy our longing for the perfect grind. On this regard, we find the JavaPresse Manual Coffee Grinder and Porlex Mini Stainless Steel Manual Coffee Grinder as the two best hand grinders.
The JavaPresse is a great companion while traveling or camping. The quiet operation is an added treat.
Moreover, we can afford the price of JavaPresse and most importantly, the 18 grind settings are a bonus. We also own a French press and they are a perfect combination.
On the other hand, we would like also to purchase the Porlex Mini Stainless Steel Manual Coffee Grinder as our back-up unit at home whenever we travel. Our teenage kids also love coffee and this small coffee bean hand grinder is just perfect for them.